Sunday, March 27, 2016

Happy Easter!

Easter in Hanau, Germany 1977
Easter, Thanksgiving, and Christmas. Those were the big three family holidays when I was growing up. And just like Christmas, a lot of our Easter traditions come from Germany, so I have warm memories of celebrating Easter as a kid.

Although it's been many years since I dyed an egg or decorated an Easter tree, this year was special because I got to spend the week leading up to Easter with part of my family.

Easter week in Hamburg, Germany 2016

Over the past several days we've explored several museums, went on a few different city tours, enjoyed the explosion of Easter trees outside, and Easter decorations in markets and store displays.


Hunting for Easter eggs in Hanau, 1977
Hunting for criminals in a helicopter simulation
at the Hamburg Polizeimuseum, 2016
This was a typical Easter setup when I was a kid.
Although I don't have an Easter tree, I couldn't resist these beautiful eggs
at the Easter Market last weekend.
It's been fun seeing outdoor decorations for Easter all over Hamburg.




Easter morning arrived with pre-dawn church bells and the lingering scent of traditional Easter Even bonfires.

Sadly, I had to say goodbye to my mother and sister, but I have a lot of great new Hamburg memories and discoveries from this week.

I hope you have an equally wonderful holiday and, like me, are looking forward to the arrival of spring!












1 comment :

  1. The egg decorations are lovely! Paul can't remember it.

    ReplyDelete