Sunday, July 17, 2016

The Art of the Brick

There seems to be a lot of nostalgia in the air right now--from Pokemon Go, to Netflix's new 80s hit, to the 60s-themed party festival in Hamburg this weekend. Maybe it's that need for a security blanket in an ever-uncertain world.

In the exhibit gift shop
I got my own dose of nostalgia yesterday, when Larry and I went to The Art of the Brick. Normally I don't post about the individual exhibits I see, but I wanted to share this one because it was so exceptional.

The artist, Nathan Sawaya, is a former lawyer who creates his work using...LEGO bricks!

I'm not even sure how many hours my sister and I logged over the years playing with our LEGO sets, but Sawaya's work is inspirational and a challenge to look at things--even the most familiar things--in a new way.

If you get the chance to see this exhibit, go! Here are just a few of my picks from the show:


I think we can all relate to this at one time or another


Larry's just chillin' with a new friend

Sawaya's most well-known piece, "Yellow"

"Hands" conveys his nightmare
as an artist--losing the source
of his expression
I loved "The Writer" because to me, it
represents the fear and struggle around
getting words to MOVE




"Despair" reminded me of the statue at St. Nikolai

"The Boy" was my favorite sculpture. The emotion he's able to convey here is amazing.



No comments :

Post a Comment